Architect or client? It’s about you the client! How I approach my work for you…
- I’ll listen carefully to your briefing to understand your budget, functional needs & priorities. So starts our path to a tailored solution. Design, sharply focussed on you, will lead us there.
- Your ideas might well be the best. So I’d help you develop and realise them. But I would also test them by suggesting alternatives to give you choice.
- We can work together in a step by step design process giving you control of the pace of progress and of fee costs.
- Your property is a major subject for reducing carbon emissions & energy bills. So I’d advise you on current technologies and relevant legislation. The design can be to Passivhaus+ standard or just compliant, as you wish.
- Your property is also a major asset. So I will design to preserve and perhaps add to its value.
- I’d create & lead a design team of professionals needed, e.g. structural engineer, co-ordinating their work into one balanced design.
- I can help you protect your family or employees, and your property, by designing compliantly with the law.
- Buying construction work of the right quality at an affordable price can be challenging. So I can help you with the commercial & legal processes needed.
I have established a thriving architect’s practice with a proven track record in client satisfaction and excellent design value. You are welcome to confirm this by referring to my clients, contact details available on request. When you appoint me you receive the individual attention of myself only, an experienced architect.
Since starting in 2010 I incorporated the practice into Thinkingpencil Limited in 2018. I am the company’s managing director and only employee. So it has been business as usual. But I have recently added resilience procedures to preserve data in the event of my incapacity.
My success is based on managing a balance between the type and number of projects I undertake at any one time so as to deliver a reliable service in conditions promoting enjoyment for yourself as my client and myself as a vocational architect.
I am an experienced architect. I have developed design, communication and management capabilities over thirty years of client care in architecture, on an unusually diverse range of building functions and project scales. These range from the refined residential and small commercial designs I do today to schools, office developments, police & military installations and university facilities in the past.
I live and work in Macclesfield from where I can work effectively on projects throughout the northwest. I can also do the Concept and Design Development stages for projects anywhere including China, India and Pakistan. I make a point of travelling to maintain and increase design vocabulary with recent trips to New Zealand, the US and Japan.
Additional to a special interest in the architecture of Andrea Palladio, Frank Lloyd Wright, Mario Botta, and Edwin Lutyens my personal interests include:-Skiing; road cycling; bird watching; the music of Antonio Vivaldi, Steve Reich, Michael Nyman, U2, & Jim Whiting; and BBC Radio 4’s the Archers. My partner Nora and I love the cinema which we regularly attend in Manchester and Tralee…..and I like to watch Match of the Day in the The Silk Trader!